Monday, July 17, 2006

Black Velvet Art Yoda

One of my birthday presents this year was a Black Velvet Artist kit the size of maybe two decks of cards. The people around me when I opened the box were laughing, but I didn’t get it. I knew nothing about this art form. Later, my sister told me that my family used to have a large matador on black velvet hanging in the living room when I was a child. I don’t remember. P’rhaps it’s better that way.

Now that I’ve actually opened my kit, months later, I am intrigued by the tiny booklet with a brief history of black velvet art: Russian Orthodox iconic artwork; Jesus on black velvet in the Vatican, dating back to the 1400s; still lives and landscapes painted in the 1800s in Japan . . . and painting on black velvet made popular again by Edgar Leeteg, the “American Gaughin.”

I did a quickie search on Google, and below is a link you just have to see. I stared at it several times, but the novelty has yet to wear off. It’s an Elvis on black velvet, which apparently isn’t rare. BUT, this is Yoda dressed as Elvis, and the caption says, “All shook up, I am. Hmmmmmmm.” Omigosh. I love this. Human creativity at its best. Click here and see Lars deSouza's painting for yourself.

No comments: