Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Juicy

Mysterious bits of dark material cling to my kitchen cabinet, wall, refrigerator, and floor. One or two tiny insects delight in flying loop-the-loops in that corner. And one’s nostrils are assaulted by the smell of fermenting fruit. Yes, I was too lazy to clean my Jack LaLanne Power Juicer this fine morning. See the somewhat cheezoid website with video for this juice extractor by clicking here.

When I found out that the mineral levels and mineral ratios in my body were---and this is a technical term---all screwed up, and it was recommended that I eliminate sugar and carbohydrates from my diet, no matter how unnatural that may seem, I decided to first increase my vegetable intake. I found Jason Vale’s book, “The Juice Master's Ultimate Fast Food: Discover the Power of Raw Juice” at the public library and was amazed. I wanted to be able to jump like he does on the cover of his book. Click here for a look.

A few things I’ve learned:
-Inevitably, things will fly out the top of your juicer and stick to the wall.
-Don’t open the juicer until it has stopped spinning completely, otherwise a chunk of pineapple can and will fly half-way across your kitchen. Fascinating, really.
-Zucchini juice is disgusting, but kale, orange bell pepper, and spinach juices are tolerable.
-You feel slightly ill the first few days you drink this juice because your body is detoxing.
-Grape juice is really yummy, but you have to be careful because that’s just too much sugar straight into your system too fast. My head felt funny.
-Little things make me happy, like dropping a whole, furry kiwi into the chute and having juice come out the other end, like magic. P’rhaps I need to get out more.

No comments: