Friday, April 15, 2011

It's Alive!

SQUID
Wait until I get home and am able to edit my videos.  I have footage of what we had for dinner last night.  It was squid.  Or octopus.  It was still moving, my friends.  The server cut the tentacles from the rest of the body.  Our hosts scooped up the tentacles (as they tried to climb up the chopsticks), dipped them in sauce and ate them. 

We all tried the octopus.  Very chewy.  At that moment I wish I drank.  I bet some soju would've made the tentacles go down smoother.  Yowza!  I didn't swallow anything without chewing pretty thoroughly, but in my mind's eye,  they're still moving in my stomach.

Then there were the eggs.  I guess it was a girl squid/octopus.  Those weren't so bad; not much flavor, and the texture of rice . . .

FISH
Perhaps you've had sushi.  I'd never had it.  "Sushi" means "garbage" and/or "dirty" in Papiamento, and just the idea of raw fish wasn't very appealing.  Well, we saw the lady take the fish out of containers full of their brethren.  She then chopped into the fish, near the head.  I saw blood, but the fish continued to flop for quite some time and was still flopping when we walked away.  I filmed a lot of flopping.

So when the platter of carefully-arranged raw fish arrived, my stomach lurched.  The beer started looking appealing.  Or maybe a "bomb," which is a full glass of beer with a shot of soju poured into it.  I tried a few pieces, but no more after that. 

Went to McDonald's this evening.

No comments: