Sunday, September 03, 2006

Instant Garden

I’m a disgrace to the apartment complex in which I live. One neighbor even hinted that my porch was an eyesore. Every porch has potted plants, flowers, furniture, decorations, satellite dishes . . . Mine has a sad, somewhat-white plastic chair accompanied by lots of weeds in the 12-or-so-inch band of dirt around the concrete. Every so often I pull the weeds, which is quite satisfying 'though not very exciting.

The true event occurs once a year, when I grow an instant garden. I pull my tools out of hibernation, retrieving them from their airtight glass jar in the bowels of a kitchen cabinet and I get to work. Neighbors and passers-by stare in surprise. And it doesn’t take long.

These photos are taken at different angles, but you get the general idea, methinks. My tools: sidewalk chalk!


Before:



The first year, I attempted to recreate real flowers, but I had overestimated my skill level . . .

After:


No comments: