Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Life-Changing Books

I was in a toy store with a friend and my eye fell on the book that changed my life: Juggling for the Complete Klutz. You think I'm kidding? I hesitated before buying it---whoa! almost 20 years ago---but I was hooked from the start. It took me about a week to be able to keep a simple 3-ball pattern stable for any length of time, partly because I couldn't catch. Yup, I'd been one of those kids who'd always be chosen last on the team.

When I was studying in Paris for my junior year in college, I took a community-circus juggling class and hung out with the jugglers at Les Halles, an, erm, colorful corner of the City of Light, every weekend.

Juggling taught me that(almost) anything can be learned. I turn green/purple/red with irritation when people say "I could *never* learn to do that."

Juggling is a great way to meet people---they come to you, they take your photo, they ask you to marry their learning-disabled sons (I'm not kidding!).

Apparently, it's good for your brain and overall health in different ways, but mostly, is just addictive and fun!

No comments: