Monday, April 18, 2011

Ho - Ho - Hahaha!

We were at a regional Rotary conference yesterday.  For the most part, we had no idea what was being said.  Then a nun with a big smile got onstage, and I think she was talking about the power of smiling and laughter and how it improves your health.

Next thing I know, about 1,500 Rotarians are chanting and clapping:

Ho!
Ho!
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ho!

Ho!
Ha! Ha! Ha!


It's surreal enough being on the other side of the planet and not understanding what's going on around you, but the nun, with what looks like a large rosary hanging from her waist and her black stockings . . .  that adds a layer of surreal!  She sounded like fun, though.  I liked her and wish I could understand.  Unfortunately, my vocabulary in Korean is limited to a handfull---literally---of words.

Sometime later, the team was onstage.  I was singing Abba's "Dancing Queen" with a Rotarian, and then Arirang by myself with no accompaniment.  It's the unofficial Korean national anthem (according to Wikipedia).  One of the Korean team members---they are visiting California for a month just as we have been visiting Korea---filmed it with my camcorder, so we have evidence. 

Ho!
Ho!
Ha! Ha! Ha!

No comments: